Here’s a comparison of YouTube vs. Facebook videos.
Before moving forward we need to know these three things:
What is video marketing?
Images are worth a thousand words, as the saying goes. Videos earn at least another thousand words. As part of your marketing campaigns, video marketing engages your audience in an effective way.
The purpose of video marketing is to let people know about your products/services via videos. By using digital and social channels to educate your audience, you increase engagement and reach them through a new medium.
What is YouTube Video Marketing?
In YouTube Video marketing, videos are created and posted on YouTube to promote a brand or product and gain exposure. The platform allows companies to increase traffic, increase customer bases, and reach new audiences.
What is Facebook Video Marketing?
Video Marketing on Facebook gives businesses a way to reach and target current and potential customers with creative ads and messages relevant to them. Marketing campaigns are created to help reach specific goals, and ads are created within those campaigns to help them achieve those goals.
Every day, 500 million people watch videos on Facebook. It is one of the most popular platforms for video lovers on the internet. The company has introduced many video features like Facebook Live and Facebook Stories to keep up with the times. Snapchat and YouTube are among its main competitors.
I would like to point out that different video content is needed for different social media platforms.
Are you still not convinced?
VIDEO PLATFORM COMPARISON OF YOUTUBE AND FACEBOOK:
YouTube As a Video Marketing Platform
Facebook Video Marketing Platform
Platform for hosting videos
|Platform for sharing videos as well|
Content discovery DNA is search
|Content discovery DNA is virality|
|3||Video clips can be searched||Finding a specific video is difficult|
|4||Develop a long-term strategy for your video||The short-term strategy|
|5||Make consistent videos that gains subscribers||An instantly consumable and shareable video|
|6||After 30 seconds, a view is counted||After 3 seconds, video views are counted|
|7||It is mostly used for informative videos and commercials||Most commonly used for funny, catchy, and viral videos|
|8||YouTube videos can be optimized for search engines through SEO||Facebook does not have this feature|
|9||YouTube videos have a lifetime shelf life||Facebook videos last two to three days|
|10||Likes and subscribers cannot be purchased||There are options to buy page likes, video promotion, and more|
Facebook and YouTube are fully integrated into the lives of their users. They consume other media and socialize offline while on both platforms.
According to a research IABUK below findings we have received from 3000 users’ responses:
On a PC, while watching YouTube:
On the PC, while using Facebook:
49% of internet users are doing something else.
55% use the internet for other purposes.
There are 27% of people who watch television.
40% of people watch TV.
27% of people are with friends.
24% of people are eating a meal.
21% of people are eating a meal.
20% of the people are with friends.
In this study, they examine the behavior and attitudes of YouTube and Facebook users in an effort to understand their roles in users’ online lives, such as:
- How they feel when they visit the sites, and what motivates them to do so
- Taking part in ‘social’ activities
- An overview of attitudes toward brand presence and different types of advertising on the sites
- Viewing and sharing motivations and behaviors related to brand content.
They surveyed 1,000 respondents (16-55 years old) in each of the United Kingdom, France and Germany online. A monthly minimum usage requirement of YouTube and Facebook was required to qualify.
Good sides of YouTube as Video Sharing Platform
Here are the reasons, you should consider YouTube as the better video marketing platform:
- YouTube has a much larger community and audience than other platforms. YouTube has more than 1 billion daily viewers.
- On YouTube, no copyrighted videos, images, or music can be uploaded, so you are sure that you are watching unique content.
- There is no charge for YouTube. You can store an unlimited amount of files on YouTube. So, you can upload as many videos as you wish.
- It has very high traffic since YouTube is the second most popular search engine in the world.
- The number of videos users can upload on YouTube is unlimited.
- The content life is unlimited on YouTube.
Good sides of Facebook as Video Sharing Platform
Facebook is also a good platform to share video when you have the below objectives of marketing:
- When your content is sharable and potential to become a viral one.
- When you have funny content or less serious content.
- You can leverage the existing page, groups and personal profiles for exposure.
- There is a greater chance to use an influencer to share your contents. YouTube can be shared too.
- Really good to reach more people in a short period of time.
From my perspectives, YouTube can bring a better sustainable Video marketing result than Facebook. It has a better content life and discoverability with high customer loyalty than Facebook. On the other hand, for a quick response and better instant reach Facebook can be useful.